Today I made fudge for the first time ever. Having searched for a recipe, I decided to try one of the many microwave recipes first, but the resultant fudge didn't set very well and I've wrapped it up in the fridge to use for a tart filling, for which I think it would be perfect. Next I tried an "Old fashioned" recipe, boiling sugar and milk on the stove with some glucose syrup and a pinch of salt. This was fine but my recipe didn't explain that you shouldn't stir it when you take it off the heat and add the butter. This meant that my fudge is very grainy and probably won't set properly either, although the taste is still good. My subsequent research means that next time I have a better chance of success.
Here are 2 helpful links:
Secrets to making chocolate fudge
creamy chocolate fudge recipe
OLD FASHIONED FUDGE
(adapted from The Australian Weekly Original Cookbook 1970 P. 240)
N.B. Be sure to use a large saucepan as there is danger of the fudge boiling over.
Ingredients:
3 cups sugar
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons glucose syrup
½ cup cocoa
1 cup milk
45g butter
1 tsp vanilla
Method:
Put first five ingredients into a large saucepan and heat gently stirring for a few minutes to dissolve the sugar. Then attach a sugar thermometer to the pan, being careful not to let it touch the bottom. Turn the heat up and bring the mixture to a rapid boil, increasing the temperature to 112C. As soon as it reaches this temperature, remove the pan from the heat and add the butter, but do not stir. Put the pan on a cooling rack and leave undisturbed for 1-1½ hours to cool to 44C. Now add the vanilla and using electric beaters, beat until smooth and creamy and lighter in colour. Then pour into an 8 inch square pan lined with buttered greaseproof paper. Cut into squares when cold.
CREAMY CHOCOLATE FUDGE
(Based on recipe in link above - converted into Australian terms)
Ingredients:
3¾ cups white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons glucose syrup
125g dark chocolate
1½ cups thickened cream
3 tablespoons cold butter
Method:
Use a large 4 litre saucepan for this recipe to ensure safety. Make as described in the above recipe, boiling until the temperature reaches 115C.
No comments:
Post a Comment